Monday, May 12, 2008

The Buck Stops Here

 

"I didn't belong as a kid,and that always bothered me.If only I had known that one day my differentness would be an asset, then my early life would have been much easier."
----Bette Midler


I can certainly relate to that quote. As a kid, I wanted to be like everyone else. Being different was not a good thing. The older I get, the more comfortable I am with who I am. What a relief. Somehow, I have found myself through painting. It has been my salvation.

This painting was fun to do. We have deer in our yard every morning and evening, and I love them. I painted this guy from a photograph, then made up the fabric in the background.

Thanks for visitingmy blog.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

ArtGirl said...

I love that background...I love rich patterns and colors and this painting is beautiful!
I relate as well! I used to hate being different, now I think it makes me special! I hate the pressure girls feel to conform . My 8 year old is much healthier than I was as a child...She wears crazy mismatched bohemiam outfits because she likes being "different'. SHe wears her Yankees jersey to school even though we recently moved to Massachusetts where it is literally almost a crime to not love the Red Sox...She has a very valuable asset. SHe just doens't care what people think! I wasn't so lucky...But I think many people aren't...But we are lucky that we see our value now, and through art especially! SOme never do...Great job on this one!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

That's really cool made up fabric though. I also totally relate to the quotes you've been posting.
Katy is a recent acquaintance through the blogosphere having moved to the North Shore of Boston where I was born and raised. It's a small world.
Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment. It really makes my day!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

PS ,
I love that it's a painting of a FAN.